[Samba] printing fails

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sat May 11 04:57:02 GMT 2002

I assume that the printer is not a postscript printer.

Do you realize that you will need (usually) two queues on your samba
server? One will be a queue which will filter the print job (the jobs
sent directly from the samba server in postscript) and a second queue which will simply
passthrough the print job to the windows printer share.

If you have a queue with a good filter which handles postscript files
(originating from your samba server) for your printer, you can use that
queue for all your printing. You could install a postscript driver on your
windows boxes (HP laserjet3 plus seems to work fine) and send these postscript
formatted jobs to the same queue as you use for jobs originating on the
samba server.

I know all this stuff because I have never had success using those
GUI printer installation programs.

Joel