[Samba] Samba + Quickbooks

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Fri May 10 17:49:02 GMT 2002

This is set up with Win2K boxes sharing a QB file on a SAMBA share. It may
be quite different than with 95-98x-ME(Miserable Edition).

  There are two or more problems - one thing I identified is that it is
possible for two computers to connect to the QB(QuickBooks) share using the
same quick books logon - something that will cause data corruption.
(Something that could have been easily addressed in the QB software too  --
can't wait till GNUcash does invoices).

The smb.conf that follows seems to have fixed this problem

The other problem only starts after the file size reaches the magic
16777216 byte file size - after that size sharing a QB file on SAMBA seems
to cause corruption on it's own.

After a talking with several folks at Intuit - - (and being told twice that
running off a Linux server was not problem) I found a brighter tech who
told me that  they don't support linux as a server and they have notes
showing that they know about the file corruption problems that they can't
show us. They don't think there is a work-around, but then I think they are
probably wrong.

I have added

oplocks = no
strict locking = yes

To the share definition. And will know if it works in a while.

If this gets to Andrew Trigell's attention, let him know that I will supply
him with QB software to test this out if he needs it - all he has to do is ask.

The files and directories belong to accounting.accounting the permissions
are set to 770

NO guarantee if this works - It will take some weeks of just using it to
see if I have it fixed - in the mean time I'm dong lots of verifydata and
backing up several times/ day.

Any feed back here will be more than welcome

smb.conf follows:

#=== Global Base parameters =======
[global]
netbios name = servername
workgroup = workgroup
server string = AMD800mHz 200mHz SFB 376MB RAM
level2 oplocks=yes
#++++ Global logging ======
log level = 2
syslog = 0
max log size = 2000

#== Global security issues =====
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
#unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
#unix password sync=yes
hosts allow = 192.168.1.
security = user

#======== Global tunning parameters =======
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
#dead time = 15

#===== Global printer params ====
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

#===== Global Browser Control Options ====
domain master = yes
password server = *
local master = yes
os level = 67
preferred master = yes

#======== Global Wins parameters =======
wins support = yes
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
writable = yes
browsable = no

[accounting]
browseable=yes
comment = /home/accounting Quick books share directory
path = /home/accounting
oplocks = no
strict locking = yes
writable = yes
create mask = 770
directory mask=770
force group = accounting

valid users = norma, karl, malaysia

# the above users all belong to the accounting group

Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049    FAX(785) 841-0434

Definition of Windows XP:
SPAM, thinly disguised as an operating system