[Samba] After reIP, Samba hosts not browsable.

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Fri May 10 15:39:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Herb Lewis wrote:

> If you are set up to use WINS this is definitely your problem.
> If possible upgrade your samba systems to 2.2.4. Previous
> versions had a bug where the would not register with the
> WINS server if there was an old registration there - even
> if that was no longer being defended.
>
> "Van Sickler, Jim" wrote:
> >
> > Did you update the hosts/lmhosts files on
> > all of the servers & clients?  If not,
> > they still contain the IP info from your
> > old scheme...

Hello Herb and Jim,

	I checked, and the hosts and lmhosts files did not
contain any old IP information.

	I did go ahead and upgrade one of my machines to
2.2.4, with no change - the host still did not appear in
Network Neighborhood.  I checked with the Windows guys, and
there was no previous machine account on the domain for that
machine.  Before the reIP, it was browsable.

	This seems to point 100% at WINS, but I hope that I'm
not ruffling too many feathers by continuing this thread
here - I think that this is probably the best group to help,
even though it doesn't seem to be a problem exclusively with
Samba.

I very much appreciate the suggestions so far, and thanks in
advance for any further help you folks can give.  :)

Benny

Always carry a short length of fibre-optic cable. If
you get lost, then you can drop it on the ground, wait
ten minutes, and ask the backhoe operator how to get
back to civilization.                     -Alan Frame