[Samba] Cannot find Primary Domain - Please help, rather urge nt

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Fri May 10 14:18:01 GMT 2002

Add the samba server info to:
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts
on the Win2k PCs

and remove the old server info

> The old domain was:
> yrbmag.yellowrat.com
>
> and I'd like every just to be in workgroup YRBMAG
>
> My configure file follows. What am I doing wrong? Is there a
> way to fake
> the domain so I can login and switch to the workgroup? Luckily enough,
> the previous admin here at the shop forgot the admin
> passwords for both
> machines, rendering my job even harder. Super!

One way to fix that (keeping existing account info, but
creating new admin password) is to "upgrade" your Win2k systems
to Win2k again.  You'll have to re-install all of your IE5.x,
DirectX, SP2 (unless you build a "streamlined" version of Win2k,
which would then have SP2 incorporated), etc.

If you don't care about the user accounts, just run SysPrep 1.1
and reboot;  you'll be prompted for the admin & networking info,
and everything else will be as was.  SysPrep is used to create
a machine that would act as the source PC for imaging, e.g. Ghost,
etc.  The first time it boots it prompts for info...

Jim