[Samba] Win2k Printing Problems

JUSTIN GERRY JGERRY at butchers.com
Fri May 10 13:10:04 GMT 2002

I just joined this list, If this has been answered before I apologize:

I have a Redhat 7.2 box running Samba 2.2.4

I have a few printers running on JetDirect boxes that I am attempting
to print to.

I used printconf in Redhat to set them up within the linux box.
Everything works fine from the linux box.

I set them up within samba (see [printers] below), but when I print I
get "Failed to open, retrying" on the queue.

If I do remove "use client driver=yes", I can then print but Win2k
tells me that under "status" that "access denied; unable to connect" on
the queue.

I've tried testing with "use client driver=yes" and "disable spoolss =
yes" and it does not seem to make much difference other than getting rid
of the "access denied; unable to connect error"

Here is what I think the important section in the smb.conf

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/lpd
	printer admin = jgerry