[Samba] "." at the end of files/folders name causing problem!

Pierre Belanger pbelang1 at oss.cantel.rogers.com
Fri May 10 12:28:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

Is this very well known, is there a workaround?

Log to your Unix Samba server.

Create in one of your share the following folders:

   mkdir -p test
   mkdir -p test./A

Get on your Windows and access the share...

Access the "test." directory... welcome in the "test"
directory, not the "test." with the "." at the end. If
the "test" directory didn't exists, Windows pops up a
window with an error (something like, "can't find ...").

Try to delete the directory "test.". Guess what, Windows just
erased the "test" directory... tested on Windows NT SP6a.

Is there a "workaround"?

Do we need a new configuration option...

	"hide windows dot files"

but I guess I should use "hide files = /*./" , if I want to hide
those type of files/folders... right?

Thank you,
Pierre B.