[Samba] Keeping your code current via wget through an ftp proxy

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Fri May 10 11:50:04 GMT 2002

I've recently figured out something that others
may find useful...we have an ftp proxy, and I couldn't
get cvs to work through it.  I finally got wget
working, and can now mirror my source to the
current samba_2_2 version by downloading
only the newer files.  Then I can run
./configure, etc to update my system.

The command line is in a text file named wget1.
I run it from my /eodc/shared/samba_2_2/source
dir, by cd'ing to /eodc/shared/samba_2_2/source,
then running ./wget1

Note that it's run from 4 dir's down;  this
is why I have "--cut-dirs=4"; so that the files
end up in the same dir that I'm in.  (If you
set yours up with /22x_source, you'd make it
"--cut-dirs=1")

The "-nH" strips off the host info (pserver.samba.org).

The "-S" displays server responses

The "-m" is to mirror the source/destination dir's.

According to WS-FTP Pro, our ftp proxy is a
"User, no login" type.  Yours may be different, so
you may have to play with the command line to get
wget to work.  Believe me, I played for a while
before I got it right!

For us, we log in to the local ftp proxy with: the
REMOTE ftp user and ftp site hostname/IP.  The password is
our e-mail address.  The proxy passes that info on to
the remote ftp site, and we're off and running.
The destination directory is appended to the proxy
IP:port, and passed on to the remote ftp server.

Here's what works, with a bogus IP...substitute your
proxy info and e-mail address:

wget -nH --cut-dirs=4 -S -m
ftp://anonymous@pserver.samba.org:my-address@company.com@192.168.254.1:21/pu
b/unpacked/samba_2_2/source