[Samba] Advice needed about remote colaboration

tristpost tristpost at hotmail.com
Fri May 10 10:55:02 GMT 2002

I am about to start a small business together with two colleagues. We are all located in different parts of the country and is in need of good remote collaboration (we will do major software development).

We will use VPN tunnels (over internet) between our computers.

Ideally I would like to set up one PDC at one site and backup DC at the two others. All three machines could act as file servers where everyone maintain a CVS repository for the parts of the software he is responsible for.

Unfortunately Samba is not able to act as backup domain controller at the moment (at least not the stable release that we probably want to use).

What other ways can one use Samba in this scenario?

The reason we want to have one server in each site is of course to be able to do work even if the VPN tunnels are down. We want to be able to use the same user account on all the three servers to avoid having to log in more than once...

All suggestions and advice are welcome!

Regards
Trist