[Samba] Cannot connect to server upgraded from 2.0.6 to 2.2.4

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri May 10 07:36:05 GMT 2002

I recently upgraded a samba server that had been running 2.0.6 to 2.2.4
because I could not authenticate to it from windows XP clients.
Unfortunately, I'm not able to connect to to the new installation. Windows
reports that '\\[server] is not accessible' and 'The semaphore timeout
period has expired'

The problem seems to be caused by lock contention on the secrets.tdb file.
For whatever reason, any SMB server on campus ends up being probed alot. (I
don't know if it's bored students or something that some windows OS's just
do, but it happens.) This means that I'm not the only one trying to access
my server.

In any event it seems as though some of the time, after acquiring a lock on
offset 656 of secrets.tdb, an smbd will go and select() on it's network
sockets. This means that if the client does not respond immediately, all
the other smbd's will, within short order, block on that lock. It is not
the case that all the smbd's block holding the lock, but some do.

Since I know people will ask, here's my smb.conf:

[global]
   encrypt passwords=yes
   update encrypted=yes
   workgroup = CAMPUS
   null passwords = no
   load printers = no
   wins server=wins.andrew.cmu.edu
   local master = no
   name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast

[wincd]
  path=/usr0/wincd
  writable=true

[tmp]