[Samba] adding a printer to samba via cupsaddsmb

Sean Trammell strammell at siumed.edu
Thu May 9 13:37:08 GMT 2002

I'm trying to add a printer to Samba 2.2.4, using the cupsaddsmb tool
provided with CUPS.  cupsaddsmb basically invokes samba's rpcclient
program.. The driver part installs fine using cupsaddsmb, but addprinter
always fails for some reason.  This is what cupsaddsmb returns, does
anybody have any idea as to what is wrong??  If I invoke rpcclient
manually with a debug level of 10, it goes for a while and eventually
dies with WERR_ACCESS_DENIED, although the user I ran it as is a printer
admin in smb.conf.

$ cupsaddsmb -U DOMAIN+strammell -v copyroom

Running command: rpcclient localhost -N -U'DOMAIN+strammell%snip' \
    -c 'addprinter copyroom copyroom "copyroom" ""'
INFO: Debug class all level = 1   (pid 8928 from pid 8928)
cmd = addprinter copyroom copyroom "copyroom" ""
result was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

parts of smb.conf: