[Samba] Windows 2000 and Samba

Sam Barasch barasch at biostat.wisc.edu
Thu May 9 12:40:02 GMT 2002

It sounds like you're having a windows networking error - do you have both
faulty w2k machines and the samba server pointing at the WINS server?  Or
better yet, is your samba server configured as a WINS server?

If it's a windows networking error, try renaming %system
root%\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts.sam to %system
root%\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts  (i.e. remove the .sam file
suffix)  read the comments in the lmhosts file and edit the lmhosts file as
appropriate for your network

Finally, check your DNS setup on the two faulty w2k machines, w2k relies on
DNS a lot more for netbios name resolution.  From the w2k command prompt,
do a nslookup  server name and see how long that takes - if that's not
working you may need to tweak your DNS settings on those two w2k machines.

I'm curious as to what's going on, so keep us posted.

---
Sam Barasch
Computer Systems Support
Department of Biostatistics