[Samba] Moving to Samba PDC - 2K+XP profile problems?

Neal Lindsay neal.lindsay at peaofohio.com
Thu May 9 06:21:03 GMT 2002

Hello all,

This is really a Windows question (and might be a bit off topic), but I
know that the people on this list would know the answers I seek better
than anyone.

This weekend I am planning on moving the office from a Win2KServer-based
domain to a Samba-controlled domain.  The current server has been
showing some hardware problems and is running out of space anyway.  I
have had my Samba maching running for two weeks - most of the time as a
PDC (different domain name than the rest of the office).  I do not have
it set up to host Windows profiles.  When I tested it out with a Win2K
client and an XP client, they treated the user as a new user and created
a new profile on the Windows systems (as expected).  When I switched
them back to the old domain, they treated the user as another new user,
and I had to do some copying to bring back things like desktops and
settings (annoying).  I do not think that the registry settings went
over smoothly.  Tonight, after everyone has gone home, I plan to shut
down the 2KServer machine temporarily and rename the Samba machine's
domain to the 2KServer's domain and see if 2K and XP still treat the
users as new users.  If that does not work, does anyone know any tricks
to make a transition like this go more smoothly?

Other tidbits:
The Win2K server is running Active Directory, but we do not use any of
its extra funcionality.
We have Win98 clients, but they (of course) don't care.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

-Neal Lindsay