[Samba] user nobody can print on a non-public printer?

Danie Roux droux at tuks.co.za
Thu May 9 01:07:04 GMT 2002

My printing system is working beautifully thanks to SAMBA. Thanks!

Except that 5 times now, user nobody connected to the printer
successfully and printed! User nobody can not log onto the domain.

It seems to happen if you print immediately after you log on. I logged
on as my test user and printed immidiately. The job went through as user
nobody. 5 minutes later I printed again, and that time I was connected
to the printer as the user.

My smb.conf sections looks like this:

[print$]
   path = /usr/local/var/samba/printers
   public = no
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   write list = administrator, root

[printers]
        comment = Printer running on Debian GNU/Linux
        valid users = @printing
        printable = yes

[WebCT]
        path = /usr/local/var/samba/printjobs
        valid users = @printing
        print command = /usr/local/maroonsys/smb_print_wrapper /usr/local/var/samba/printjobs/%s %m %u %T %p >> /tmp/wrapper_errs
        printable = yes

--- snip

This is a problem, since 17 pages have been printed by users for free. And I have to explain where those pages went to.

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix