[Samba] oplock_break and Excel data corruption with Samba 2.2.3a

Federico Sevilla III jijo at free.net.ph
Tue May 7 17:23:11 GMT 2002

Pearse,
(cc Samba list)

Quoting Pearse Stokes <info at ecobaby.ie>:
> Hi, from Pearse Stokes at Ecobaby Limited in Dublin,
>
> We've been having increasing problems with TAS accounting software that
> uses Btrieve databases on a Linux RH7.0 server and old Samba.
>
> Because of that, we are installing a new server with Mandrake Pro Suite 8.0
> and Samba 2.2.1a. However, our problems have increased. These don't appear
> to affect software other than the Btrieve based stuff.
>
> Noting your problem with Excel etc., have you found a solution? Did you try
> the oplocks change suggested, and if so, did it work?

Using Samba 2.2.3a with oplocks completely disabled, our corruption problems
with Microsoft Excel have gone away completely. Thankfully with the acceptable
loads in our environment (vis a vis the capabilities of the server) there has
been no noticeable slowdown in operations even with oplocks disabled.

> Any ideas would be appreciated. Am downloading Samba 2.2.4 right now.

If you are not under intense pressure to fix things, you may want to upgrade to
Samba 2.2.4 while keeping oplocks enabled, and then only disable oplocks if
things still break.

Hopefully the other people on the Samba list will have more tips to share with
you. Good luck with your quest to fix things!

 --> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III   :  <http://jijo.free.net.ph/>
Network Administrator  :  The Leather Collection, Inc.