[Samba] Samba Panic Directive

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue May 7 17:04:07 GMT 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Kevin Tomlinson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me the exact definition of Samba's
> 'Panic' directive.

It is a command that is executed when smbd is about to
dump core.

> We run samba as a domain controller on a Solaris box, but it
> periodically falls over with a number of different symptoms (samba
> process hogging all CPU, hogging memory, dozens and dozens of samba
> processes constantly spawned or sometimes for no apparent reason at
> all).
>
> We've had a look at a number of solutions, but havn't been able to find
> the problem (I personally suspect it may be something to do with solaris
> with samba...I'd like to run the domain controller from a linux / BSD
> box for a while see if the problem replicates...but its not my call :)
> ). The next best thing would be to get the server to mail out or better
> yet, restart itself when samba falls over.

The panic action is really for debugging, not to act as a watch dog.
Something like

	panic action = "/bin/sleep 9999"

would then allow you to attach to crashed process with gdb and
figure out what went wrong.  You need to compile with -g
for this to be of any help.

cheers, jerry