[Samba] Unix side authentication

Daniel Pasono danielp at nmmcc.com
Mon May 6 16:07:02 GMT 2002

Hello all.

I'm a little confused. I'm trying to understand how Samba authenticates
a user on the Unix side when security=user.
The help page says that if my user names are the same on Unix and MS
(and they are) , then I probably want to use security=user. I ASSUMED
that this meant that Samba would check the /etc/password file to
authenticate on the Unix side, but the error log shows that it is
checking /var/samba/private/smbpasswd. Is there a way to have Samba
check the Unix OS's password file? (we are using NIS so that may
complicate things a bit). I would rather drive the passwords from the
Unix side rather than the MS side, so I'd rather not use the password
sync option.

Thanks everyone.
Daniel