[Samba] 2.2.3a machine accounts not created

Philip Burrow phil.burrow at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 6 15:11:02 GMT 2002

Hi, I'm having a problem with 2.2.3a. I have successfully set up an LDAP
directory to support a Samba 2.2.3a domain. The problem is that Samba is not
automatically adding machine accounts. Indeed, it's not even running my add
user script.

Thus I can't join client workstations to the domain unless I manually add an
account (which works).

I have created an Administrator account, and put it into the Domain Admins
group as per the LDAP-PDC howto on idealx. I have run smbpasswd -w <secret>
successfully, and manually executing my "add user script" works fine for
adding users and workstations.

Any ideas anyone? Here's my globals from smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = GROUP
        netbios name = MY_SRV
        server string = Samba Server
        security = user
        interfaces = 10.0.1.1/255.255.0.0 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
        log level = 5
        domain logons = yes
        os level = 99
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        domain master = yes
        dns proxy = no
        wins support = yes
        domain admin group = "@Domain Admins"

        add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pl -w -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false %u

        ldap server = 127.0.0.1
        ldap port = 389
        ldap suffix = "dc=mydomain,dc=com"
        ldap admin dn = "cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=com"
        ldap ssl = no

        oplocks = false

        encrypt passwords = yes
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-passwd.pl -o %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n

Many thanks for any advice.

Phil.