[Samba] (somtimes) very slow access: windows-xppro samba 2.2.3a on redhat7.2

Marcel J.E. Mol marcel at mesa.nl
Mon May 6 14:52:02 GMT 2002

David,

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 04:10:02PM -0500, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 11:02:53PM +0200, Marcel J.E. Mol wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have this setup with 4 windows xp-pro machines in a 100 Mb net connecting
> > to a samba 2.2.3a service on a redhat 7.2 machine.
> > Samba is running as PDC. Everything works fine (logon, printing, files etc)
> > except that every now and then things are very slow. Sometimes it take around
> > half aminute to logon but other times it takes just a couple of seconds.
> > Sometime you see this on logout. Sometimes you see this when printing or
>
> Do you have roaming profiles turned on?  Do you see your network
> usage spike on login or logout.  If you have roaming profiles turned
> on and it is a huge profile, this could be the problem for slow
> logins and logouts.  I don't think this is related to your other
> problems though.  try turning roaming profiles off on a machine or
> set login patch =
>
> in smb.conf

I do see a profiles dir on the server taht are created by winxp. They
are 1 to 4 MB in size.
But as said, sometimes the login/logout takes just a couple of seconds
instead of around half a minute (or maybe a minute, i did not acutally
time it).

I'm not a windows user so don't know how to turn roaming profiles of...
So how do you do that in winxp?
And what does the "set login patch" do; it is not listed in the smb.conf
man page?

I guess I have to agre that roaming profiles are not the problem as
the same slowness occurs when opening a folder or printing a document.

-Marcel

--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.
    =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112