[Samba] (somtimes) very slow access: windows-xppro samba 2.2.3a on redhat7.2

Marcel J.E. Mol marcel at mesa.nl
Mon May 6 14:05:02 GMT 2002

Hello,

I have this setup with 4 windows xp-pro machines in a 100 Mb net connecting
to a samba 2.2.3a service on a redhat 7.2 machine.
Samba is running as PDC. Everything works fine (logon, printing, files etc)
except that every now and then things are very slow. Sometimes it take around
half aminute to logon but other times it takes just a couple of seconds.
Sometime you see this on logout. Sometimes you see this when printing or
opening a folder on a network drive.
It looks like every now and then just one operation takes a long
time, while following operations are very very fast again.

I checked the archives and saw other messageas about slow connections,
but these seem to slow all the time.

I suspected a namingservice problem, but ip connections like telnet, ftp and
ssh (and DNS) work just fine all the time. Also tried with and without wins
support but that does not make difference.

Below follows the smb.conf file.

Any hints/solutions?

-Marcel

[global]
   workgroup = LOCALDOMAIN
   log level = 0
   add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Samba_Client -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
   server string = Samba
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   printing = bsd
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 2048
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
   os level = 50
   local master = yes
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   domain admin group = @adm @users
   logon script = scripts\default.bat
   logon drive = h:
   wins support = no
   dns proxy = no
   getwd cache = yes
   time server = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/samba/lib/netlogon
   writable = false
   share modes = false
   read only = true
   guest ok = false
   browseable = false

[apps]
   comment = Applicaties
   path = /home/samba/shares/apps
   writable = no
   share modes = no
   read only = yes
   guest ok = no
   fake oplocks = true
   write list = administrator, root

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   use client driver = yes

[fax_in]
   comment = Applicaties
   path = /var/spool/fax/incoming
   writable = yes
   share modes = no
   read only = no
   guest ok = no

[fax]
   comment       = Fax
   postscript    = true
   print command = ( /opt/fax/bin/printfax.pl %I %s %U %m; rm %s ) &
   printable     = yes
   writable      = no
   path          = /var/spool/samba
   lpq command   = /opt/fax/bin/faxlpq
   lprm command   = /opt/fax/bin/faxlprm %j %U
   lpresume command   = /opt/fax/bin/faxresume  %j %p
   browseable = yes
   public = yes
   guest ok = no
   use client driver = yes

[fax_direct]
   comment       = Fax_direct
   postscript    = true
   print command = ( /opt/fax/bin/copyfax %I %s %U %m; rm %s ) &
   printable     = yes
   writable      = no
   path          = /var/spool/samba
   lpq command   = /opt/fax/bin/faxlpq
   lpresume command   = /opt/fax/bin/faxresume  %j %p
   lprm command   = /opt/fax/bin/faxlprm %j %U
   browseable = yes
   public = yes
   guest ok = no
   use client driver = yes