[Samba] samba & cups

David W. Chapman Jr. dwcjr at inethouston.net
Mon May 6 12:03:15 GMT 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 02:47:56PM -0400, P. Jourdan wrote:
> I have Samba set up on FreeBSD on a network with several W2K's and other
> FreeBSD's. After incredible feats of tortured convolutions with books and
> web pages, I finally managed to get file transfers between the Windows &
> BSD machines and printing on the FreeBSD and from Windows to FreeBSD with
> lpd (!).

First of all, did you use the samba port for freebsd?

I've used printing with freebsd's lpd daemon for years, so it does
work.

Here is the section from my smb.conf for my printer

[nec]
        comment = Nec Printer
        path = /stripe1/spool/samba
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        min print space = 1024
        printable = Yes
        use client driver = Yes

here's my relevant section of my printcap

lp|nec|local line printer:\
      :sh:rm=neca07cc8:sd=/stripe1/spool/output:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Can you print to your printer via lpr(see if same is the problem or
your printcap).  Could you please provide your printcap and relevant
sections of smb.conf?

--
David W. Chapman Jr.
dwcjr at inethouston.net	Raintree Network Services, Inc. <www.inethouston.net>