[Samba] 2.2.4/spools/HP DJ 1120 driver problem

Martin Thomas mthomas at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Mon May 6 11:56:03 GMT 2002

Gerald, Thomas, List-Members

>> mt:
>> I suppose Gerald Carter and the other maintainers of the printing-code
>> use postscript-printers for the testing. But the HP Deskjet 1120 has no
>> build-in postscript interpreter. Its just the 'bigger brother' in the DJ
>> 8xx-series of printers that can handle A3 papersize. It's not the newest
>> machine but the quality is still good enough. So

>gc:
>I test with PCL and PS drivers.  It's just that PS are generally
>smaller and better behaved.

I had success with PCL Drivers for a HP Laserjet 4 (without Postscript).
But with the DJ1120 PCL Drivers it won't work. Perhaps my setup is not
o.k. put since all other printer-drivers work I don't think so.

Gerald, if you have some time: download the HP Deskjet 1120 Driver for
Windows 2000 from your employers Web-Server and try to upload
it to a Samba 2.2.4 box via APW. You may see some difficulities (at least I did).
I've used the Drivers from the W2K-CD giving /winnt/inf/ntprint.inf when asked
for 'have disk', which uploaded without error message.
Than 'bind' the printer to a W2k Client and try to view the properties on the client
or in the Servers APW - as soon as one client was connected to the printer
the properties-Dialog failed. Printing did not work either (most of the time).

: >ts:
: > how to remove a serverdriver without dropping all $LOCKDIR/nt*.tdb?

:gc:
: Connect as a printer admin to the samba box froma Win2k client
: and browse through the network neighboprhood to the Printers
: folder on the Samba server.  Then goto File->Server Properties
: and select the "Drivers" tab in the dialog window that appears.
:
Does not work here, not for 'root' or other printer admins.
The button [remove] is disabled. I can detach the driver from the printer
be selecting 'delete' from the drivers context-menu. But rpcclient
enumdrivers still lists [HP DeskJet 1120C] deldriver "HP Deskjet 1120C"
failed while deldriver "HP DeskJet 1120C Printer" succeded. Deskjet 1120C
is still listet. enumprinters does not show the driver after deleting it from
the context menu.

Suggestions?

Martin

---
Martin THOMAS
University of Kaiserslautern, Institute of Environmental Engineering,
Kaiserslautern (ZIP 67663), Germany