[Samba] Database file sharing errors

Jeff Green jeff at jbgreen.com
Mon May 6 10:17:03 GMT 2002

When opening what is supposed to be shared database files, smbstatus
reports the following:

Locked files:
Pid    DenyMode   R/W        Oplock           Name
1809   DENY_NONE  RDONLY     EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/samba/data/Abacus/Abacus3d.dll   Mon May  6 08:49:03 2002
1809   DENY_NONE  RDONLY     EXCLUSIVE+BATCH  /samba/data/Abacus/SMWCC.DLL
  Mon May  6 08:49:02 2002
809   DENY_ALL   RDWR       EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/samba/data/Abacus/LAW1NOTE.FPT   Mon May  6 08:49:03 2002
1809   DENY_ALL   RDWR       EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/samba/data/Abacus/LAW1NOTE.DBF   Mon May  6 08:49:03 2002
1809   DENY_WRITE
RDWR       EXCLUSIVE+BATCH  /samba/common/PSLIPS/W5.DAT   Mon May  6
08:07:56 2002
1809   DENY_NONE  RDONLY     EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/samba/data/Abacus/Lawwin2.dll   Mon May  6 08:49:03 2002
1809   DENY_ALL   RDWR       EXCLUSIVE+BATCH  /samba/data/Abacus/LAWSYS.DBF
   Mon May  6 08:49:03 2002
..
The Windows ME client locks up, while Samba shows it's accessing and
opening the shared files (in the mode noted). XP Home opens the files, but
again only in the mode noted. I originally had oplocks/level2 oplocks
disabled in the share configuration, and have added them with no difference
in results. I have also re-installed the application to a different share,
with the same results.

The identical application is running perfectly at another location using
Samba 2.0.8. Shared files are opened by all clients (Windows 95 or 98)
without errors and in full shared mode. This share does not disable
oplocks, and all works well. Here's the current smbstatus output of that
working system:

1231   DENY_NONE  RDWR       NONE             /samba/abacus/LAWTRANS.CDX
Mon May  6 07:29:02 2002
23211  DENY_NONE  RDWR       NONE             /samba/abacus/LAW9.DBF   Mon
May  6 08:44:49 2002
23195  DENY_NONE  RDWR       NONE             /samba/abacus/LAW9.DBF   Mon
May  6 08:36:56 2002
1231   DENY_NONE  RDWR       NONE             /samba/abacus/LAW9.DBF   Mon
May  6 07:29:02 2002
23211  DENY_NONE  RDWR       NONE             /samba/abacus/LAWGROUP.CDX
Mon May  6 08:49:05 2002
23195  DENY_NONE  RDWR       NONE             /samba/abacus/LAWGROUP.CDX
Mon May  6 08:36:57 2002
1231   DENY_NONE  RDWR       NONE             /samba/abacus/LAWGROUP.CDX
Mon May  6 07:58:07 2002
23211  DENY_NONE  RDWR       NONE             /samba/abacus/LAW3NOTE.FPT
Mon May  6 08:44:49 2002
23195  DENY_NONE  RDWR       NONE             /samba/abacus/LAW3NOTE.FPT
Mon May  6 08:36:56 2002
1231   DENY_NONE  RDWR       NONE             /samba/abacus/LAW3NOTE.FPT
Mon May  6 07:29:02 2002
23211  DENY_DOS   RDONLY     NONE             /samba/abacus/Lawwin.exe
Mon May  6 08:44:49 2002

The client OS (their choice, not mine) is Windows ME (x1) and Windows XP
Home (x2). The server is a Dell 1500SC using the Intel Ether Pro 1000
interface for the LAN and Debian 3.0 (Woody) with kernel 2.2.20. I have yet
to test this using another LAN interface and kernel 2.2.17 anticipating NIC
timing issues. I know of no option to use an earlier version in .deb
package form (my preference). This is a Samba 2.2.3a-6 (Debian) box
installed and working as a PDC with WINS support for a network of
(currently) 3 clients. Shares otherwise work well.

I'd appreciate your comments.

Jeffrey B. Green		Personal Computer Consultant - Las Vegas, Nevada
http://jbgreen.com		Networking Las Vegas Since 1986