[Samba] 2.2.4/spools/HP DJ 1120 driver problem

Thomas Stegbauer tsmailing at tronicplanet.de
Mon May 6 08:43:03 GMT 2002

Martin Thomas wrote:
| :
| : Hello Samba-Team and List-Members,
| : i had a similar problem with an hp deskjet 2500cm printer.
| :
| : the 2500 series printer driver get uploaded, i can connect, but when
| : printing: nothing happens on the samba and cups server.
| :
| : after changing the printer driver to 2500 pcl5e driver. i was able to
| : print. but the quality was pretty poor.
| :
| : after installing the 2500postscript driver, we was able to print, beside
| : it took about 5min, until the printer began to work. but the ps driver
| : wont work on w2k only on win nt?
|
| Thanks for your answer.
|
| I have not seen any problems with the Printer-Drivers from Postscript
| Printers. Even with W2K Samba-managed Postscript-based drivers work.
| I do not have any NT-clients here.
|
| I suppose Gerald Carter and the other maintainers of the printing-code
| use postscript-printers for the testing. But the HP Deskjet 1120 has
| no build-in postscript interpreter. Its just the 'bigger brother' in the
| DJ 8xx-series of printers that can handle A3 papersize. It's not the
| newest machine but the quality is still good enough. So

the 2500 is also the bigger brother of hp deskjet ??? it handles also
din a3 papersize, has 4 ink-tank's but this one's (about 16) has all
options, from 20mb to 74mb ram, pcl and ps and jetdirect cards.

so this printer seems similar to your one.

| There is
| (a) Problem/error in the Samba-Code with this Driver (and probably all
|   drivers of this series of HP printers)
| or

i dont know

| (b) the Drivers can not be used as 'server based' drivers. Perhaps someone
|   can test them with a W2K-Server (don't have one here)

i tried with a w2k professional.
connected the jetdirect with lpr (not jetdirect socket) to the
workstation and shared that printer.
the normal and pcl printdriver work as expected, the ps i didnt try.

| 'use client driver = yes' works as expected but is just a 'workaround'

how to remove a serverdriver without dropping all $LOCKDIR/nt*.tdb?

thank you.
thomas

- --
# Thomas Stegbauer