[Samba] samba w/ multiple network cards/machines

dionysus dionysus39 at hotmail.com
Sun May 5 23:20:03 GMT 2002

I have a fairly simple network running in my flat - there is a linux
box with two network cards in it, and two network machines. I have the
linux box set up to route traffic between the windows 98 machines and
they can ping each other. I'm now trying to set up samba so the
windows boxes can swap files thru smb. I have managed to get all
machines to see each other (thru smbclient and network neighbourhood),
but the windows ones can't connect to each other (The "\\machinename
is not accessible" error). I am hoping to be able to do this without
resorting to setting up a domain, or some complex password scheme (the
"hosts allow" setting is more than enough security for me - if there
was some way of turning off all other security I would use it).....the
network topology, software versions and relevant bits of my smb.conf
file as are follows

windows1: 192.168.0.2 (connected to linux box eth0)
windows2: 192.168.1.2 (connected to linux box eth1)
linux box: eth0: 192.168.0.1
linux box: eth1: 192.168.1.1

routing table specifies direct routes to windows1 and windows2 on the
relevant interfaces

samba vers 2.0.7, redhat vers 7.1 (fresh install)

guest account = pcguest
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
interfaces = 192.168.0.1/24 192.168.1.1/24
local master = yes
os level = 65
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes (AFAIK this needs to be here)
wins support = yes (for wins server)

I have no idea why this doesn't work.
If anyone can come up with some idea, I would be absolutely stoked.
Please email it to me if you can - I don't check the archives very
often...
Thanks heaps in advance

-d