[Samba] 2.2.4/spools/HP DJ 1120 driver problem

Martin Thomas mthomas at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Sat May 4 09:41:02 GMT 2002

Hello Samba-Team and List-Members,

Having the new Samba 2.2.4 installed I tried to upload
all printer drivers for Windows 2000 to the server.
For most of the printers (16) everything seems to work
(after hacking some inf-files for older Texas-Instruments
Postscript printers).

With a HP Deskjet 1120 there are still problems. What I've done
so far:

(1) added a print share for the DJ 1120 in smb.conf
(2) installed driver locally on a W2k client for testing
(3) printed a testpage - everything ok

(4) uploaded the printer-driver from the Windows 2000
  Server CD to the server (the printer driver from the
  HP-Web-Site could not be uploaded because of one
  file - ecp*.sys? -> PROBLEM)
(5) tried to change the printer properties in the Server APW,
  changes are persistent - well
(6) connected a W2k SP2 client to the printer via the
  local Add-Printer-Wizard and printed a testpage -> o.k.

(7) tried to view the printer properties on the client
  results in a message-box saying: "The printer properties
  can not be showed. The procedure could not be finished"
  (translated from german) -> ERROR
  I'm member of the printer admin group and the upload
  worked - so this might not be an access-rights problem.
(8) tried to view the printer properties in the servers
  APW and got the same message box -> ERROR
(9) detached the printer from all clients
(10) went to the Servers APW and tried to show
  the printer properties. This works on _some_ clients
  on another client the message box
  "...properties can not be showed..." comes up
  again -> ERROR
(11) reattached the printer to some clients, again
  no access to the properties on _all_ clients and
  the APW for the Samba server

There seems to be some kind of locking with this
driver that is not noticed with other drivers (mostly
HP Laserjets und Xerox/Tektronix Phasers using Postscript
Drivers). With this locking printer-admins loose control
over the printe since properties can not be viewed/changed
as long as there is a clients attached - and there will always be
some clients attached because the printer is "mounted"
through the startup-script. And even worse, applications
which use the properties wont be able to read them and might
reject printing to this printer, although MS Word 97 seems to
work with the DJ 1120, one can change the paper size.

Any solution for this, beside of 'use client driver'?
I can send level 10 logs if someone is interested.

Thanks,
Martin
---
Martin THOMAS
University of Kaiserslautern, Institute of Environmental Engineering,