[Samba] Can't print from applications in W2K to Samba (version 2.2.3a, Debian woody)

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sat May 4 08:15:02 GMT 2002

I assume by this line:
"Printing to the printer directly attached to my W2K client works fine, too. "
you mean the LBP-1000 works fine attached to your W2K client.

Although there may be other problems (filtering comes to mind. You
aren't trying to filter the job on the linux server, are you?) I had
an identical problem with a lexmark z53, with the same error message.
The problem was two way communications. Some printers expect to be able
to talk back to the PC. Two way communication is not  possible, as far
as I know, with a samba server. I found an option in my lexmark driver
configuration, on the windows PC, to turn off two way communication. Then,
all worked fine.

Joel