[Samba] File Archive bit not cleared

Stephan Edelman stephan at newace.ca
Sat May 4 08:04:02 GMT 2002

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with our Tape Backup user not being able to clear the archive bit on files after the backup has been completed (we're running ArcServe 2000 on a Windows NT box). After looking into it closer, it looks like Samba will only permit the archive bit to be cleared if the file is owned by the tape backup user. Even if the tape backup user is part of the same group as the file and the file has group read/write permissions.

This is a serious problem because it causes the tape backup software to continually backup ALL files. We do not want to change the ownership of each file to that of our tape backup user, because this breaks our file system quota support mechanism.

Is there a magic flag that can be set in the smb.conf file that permits a user who has group read/write access from setting/clearing the archive bit?

We're running Samba 2.2.0a, on a quad-SMP Linux 2.2.15 kernel box.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Please reply to this email as well as the list.

Many thanks,

Stephan.
---
Stephan A. Edelman, B.Eng.