[Samba] homes share and winbind

nate at riconcorp.com nate at riconcorp.com
Fri May 3 10:29:01 GMT 2002

I'm running samba 2.2.3a with winbind and pam on a red hat 7.2 system.  i've
almost gotten this thing to sing.  domain users can log in to the console,
windows style ACLs work and can be modified from a windows machine
(inheritence is goofy, but that's a seperate issue).
When a user connects to this samba server, pam creates a home folder for the
user if one doesn't already exist (session    required
/lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0022).  That works fine.
What doesn't work is authentication to the home folders.  the normal shares
i create show up, i can open them, the samba server sees me as
<domain>+<user>, and all is good.   with a home folder, it's created and
shows up properly, but i'm prompted for a username and password when i try
to access it.  ownership on the home folder is correct for the user.  i
haven't been able to find any login failures in the logs when i purposely
give it a wrong username/password combination.  I'm pretty much clueless
with this one.

Thanks,

Nate