[Samba] Browsable shares

Bill Clifford wlclifford at shaw.ca
Fri May 3 09:09:02 GMT 2002

Gerard,

      Change browseable = no.  That way the share disappears from the
browse list.  To allow the valid users to see the share, use a login
script to map the share to a drive letter.  If you have user names
longer than 8 characters, it has been my experience that kernel oplocks
must be turned off to allow the login script to execute reliably.

            Bill

W.L. Clifford, M.D., CCFP

Medical Office Information Systems

Hi,

I have a Samba share set up that my Windows 95 clients use to access
directories on my Red Hat Linux system. I have set valid users for each
share but when the Users browse in Windows 95 they see ALL the shares
and not just the shares that they are valid users for.  When the User
clicks on a share that they are not a valid user for then samba asks for
a password and wont allow them in anyway.  BUt if they are not a valid
user I would like it set so that they dont even see the share.  Is this
possible?

Here is an example of my share

[KB_PRM]

path =
/home/httpd/html/knowledge_base/staff_department/planning_resource_manag

ment

browseable = yes

public = no

writable = yes

valid users = prdmgr2 intramgr

I hope someone can help me.

Mr. Gerard O'Reilly

Intranet Manager

Siam Stars Ltd/ Thai-Belgium Industrial Co. Ltd

21/6 Moo 3, Soi Kayha Bangbua,

Viphavadee Rangsit Road,

60 Talad Bangkhen,

Laksi Bangkok 10210