[Samba] 2 Qs, Win ME failure and SWAT issue.

Sean McHenry smchenry at columbus.rr.com
Thu May 2 23:29:02 GMT 2002

First, the SWAT issue.  I have a RH 7.2 system recently installed, lots
of RAM and VMware 3.1 installed.  VMware did it's own SAMBA installation
when I set it up.  I have since downloaded the latest version, and
removed the older version that came with VMware.  Updated fine.

When I run SWAT on this machine, it says SMB is not running even though
I can start, stop and restart it from the command line.  Says "OK" each
time.  I found a copy of smb in the /etc/init.d directory as well as the
newly installed copy in /etc/rc.d/init.d  Could these be conflicting as
VMware services are sarting at boot time.  If it was using the older
version in the /etc/init.d directory could it be that this is the reason
SWAT is saying the version I installed was not running?  Second part of
this question: if this is due to having VMware installed, how do I
rectify the version issues?  That is using the right version for SAMBA
itself and still allow VMware to start it's services on boot.

Second problem: I am able to see a /var/Shared folder on another Linux
web server I have running SMABA (latest RH rpm version) just fine on my
Win 2K and XP home edition machines on the smae workgroup.  My Win Me
machines (both the real thing and the one I run inside VMware) see the
Linux machine and that it has shares but when I try to connect, it spins
for a few moments and then asks me to supply a password only.  It
doesn't ask for the username.

I am going to make an assumption here - (yes I know...) that Win Me is
similar to 98/95 in that it attempts to log you onto the shares with the
name you logged onto the local machine with?  In which case, if I logged
onto the WinMe machine as "Administrator", it will send "Administrator"
as the logon to the samba box?  I suppose further that there is no way
around this except to create a user named "Administrator" on the SAMBA box?

Am I even on the right path with these?  I will try renaming the
/etc/init.d version of smb to old_smb and restarting my machine.  My
guess is it will cause VMware to not boot with all it's functionality
intact.

Thanks folks.  I did look back a few month in the Archives before asking
these but didn't see anything on either of these specifically.

Sean McHenry
no-spam-smchenry at columbus.rr.com
(remove the "no-spam-"
--