[Samba] Can't connect to a win2k system.

Ken Miller klm at shetlandsoftware.com
Thu May 2 13:20:03 GMT 2002

I've been using samba for sharing files on my Linux box.  This works quite
well, but I'm having some problems accessing a share on my Win2k box:

pink:/home/miller/samba/bin# smbclient -L hyperion
added interface ip=192.168.1.3 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
timeout connecting to 192.168.1.2:139
Connection to hyperion failed

(BTW, nmblookup hyperion fails, yet smbclient resolves the name correctly.
Why?  To make the above command work, I had to populate /etc/samba/lmhosts
with the address of hyperion, else it couldn't resolve the name)

Am I missing something on the win2k box?  Passwords between the two systems
are the same (I can browse the samba shares just fine from the win2k box),
so I don't think that's the issue.

The win2k box *is* listening on port 139, but for some reason it's denying
the connection.

On a slightly different note, 'net view' from the Win2k box does not show
the Samba share, yet I can explicitly reference it:

[d:\]net view
Server Name            Remark
---
\\HYPERION

[d:\]net view \\hyperion
Shared resources at \\hyperion

Share name   Type         Used as  Comment
---
EPSONStylus  Print                 EPSON Stylus COLOR 777
Home         Disk
Lexmark      Print                 Lexmark Optra S 1255 PS
PWRCHUTE     Disk
TESTDIR      Disk

[d:\]net view \\pink
Shared resources at \\pink

pink server (Samba 2.2.3a - testing)

Share name   Type         Used as  Comment
---
lp           Print                 Generic dot-matrix printer entry
miller       Disk         (UNC)    Home Directories
The command completed successfully.

So you can see that I *can* see the samba shares, as long as I know what
they are.

Suggestions?

BTW, I'm running the latest version of samba, 2.2.3a, with pretty much the
default configuration.

Cheers!

   -klm.

Kenneth L. Miller, Consultant