[Samba] Can't display HP4Plus Printer Properties, but can HP4MV, etc

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Thu May 2 12:33:02 GMT 2002

One step forward, ??? steps back....

  I updated my 2.2.3a to 2.2.4pre yesterday to see if
it would clear up some oddities...not really.

  In fact, now there's one that wasn't there before.

  I have the following HP printers installed on my
server:  HP4Plus, HP4MV, HP570, HP450C.  I also have
other printers that use their own executable to
install drivers: Lexmark Optra S 1250, Mita Ci1000,
and Textronix Phaser 550 (Mita/Phaser use the
AdobePS driver supplied by Adobe, v5.2)

  Before I install any of them on my Win2k system,
I can view the properties/install drivers of all
of them.

  Once I install the HP4Plus driver, I can't view
the properties of the HP4Plus, on my system or
the Samba server's list of printers.

  I can install any of the other printers on my
system, and still view their properties on my
system or the Samba server.

  If I uninstall the HP4Plus from my system,
I can once again see it's properties on the
Samba server.

  The drivers used are HP's HP4Plus PCL5e
v4.3.2.38. and v02.12.02.

  I stopped Samba, deleted the printing.tdb,
ntprinters.tdb, ntdrivers.tdb.  Deleted the
print$ share contents; added the COLOR,
W32X86 and Win40 dir's again.  Restarted
Samba, re-installed the drivers.  No change
in the HP4Plus behavior.

  I've also cleaned out my registry  of all
printing links to that server (AFAIK).

OpenBSD 3.1
LPRng 3.8.10
Samba 2.2.4pre; 1 May 2002 copy of SAMBA_2_2.

[smb.conf entries]
disable spoolss = no
use client driver = no

  Any ideas would be welcome!  This Samba
box is my backup print server;  I'm testing
the Samba/LPRng/OpenBSD updates on it.  So far,
it's not ready for prime time...

Jim