[Samba] smbclient & printing on win2k box with HP Deskjet 560C (Drivers?) SMB 2.2.3a - Kernel 2.4.7, red hat 7.2

Diembo Linux at deschuen.de
Thu May 2 06:08:03 GMT 2002

On Thu, 02 May 2002 00:13, you wrote:
> You don't need samba to print, just smbclient. That is, you don't need to
> be running a samba server.
> Since you don't have much time and don't want to mess around with a lot of
> stuff, here is the quick and dirty way. Assuming your printer is
> postscript, just print your document in postscript format to a file.
> Then,
> smbclient -L Win2kServer
> and see what the name of the printer share is.
> Then:
> smbclient //Win2kServer/PrinterShare
>    Do the password stuff
> print YourFile
> quit

OK, good so far. I was already using samba for files etc. and was totally
content. Now I get an access problem:

smbclient //athlon/printer (passwd stuff)
smb: \> print ./print.txt (or print.txt or even whole pathname)
ERRDOS - ERRbadaccess (Invalid open mode.) opening remote file print.txt-2348

The file location of print.txt should be right (/home/<myuser>/print.txt &
lcd show that directory). Print --help tells me that it prints LOCAL files,
so that should be alright. I think this would be an user/passwd issue. But
for the files it works allright. And the printer runs exactly under the same
permissions, for the same user, with the same passwd. And printing with win2k
on my system works over the network, so I dont get why? You seem to be quite
knowledgable about this, so please tell me more. Thank you so much so far.

One more question: what does postscript do? What's it for? Should be basic,
but still, sometimes I fall over words which seem to be so obvious but dont
know what they mean ;-). Is postscript "easy" to install on my win2k box?

Tim

Diembo working @ Linux :-P