[Samba] disabling winbind

abartlet at samba.org abartlet at samba.org
Thu May 2 01:41:02 GMT 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:30:15AM +0200, Rasmus Nielsen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I got a samba PDC up and running, everything works great, but whenever one
> of my users installs win2k/xp on his client machine I have to add that
> machine to the domain. I was wondering, if I disable winbind is it then
> posible to avoid using root pasword to add machin accounts to the PDC?

This is nothing to do with winbind, would be insecure and is not supported
by either the protocols or the clients.

You can 'add machine to domain' from the servers end, which removes the need
to use the root password on the client if you want.  The disadvantage of this
is that the password is set to 'MACHINENAME', so you have a race to change
the password between setup and join (a 'join' in this case is a simple
machine password change)

Andrew Bartlett