[Samba] Still need help linking samba on Redhat 7.2 -- ANYONE?

abartlet at samba.org abartlet at samba.org
Thu May 2 00:44:04 GMT 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 02:25:13PM -0500, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am trying to compile sambe with SSL on my RedHat 7.2 machine.
> The Redhat installation is a fresh install.
>
> Here is what I did:
> Made sure that samba was not previously installed by typing
> rpm -q samba
>
> cd /usr/local
> lynx
> ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/crypt/mirrors/ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/ssleay/SSLeay-0.9.0b.t
> ar.gz
> tar zxf SSLeay-0.9.0b.tar.gz
> cd SSLeay-0.9.0b

Samba's SSL support (soon to be killed) only works with OpenSSL, not SSLeay
as in previous versions.

There is little reason for samba to use SSL.  NO windows client supports it,
and the job is much better done using stunnell and inetd (for the server side,
see the stunnel documentation on how to 'add' SSL to arbitary deamons) and
by using (untested):

LIBSMB_PROG="stunnel -r remote.host:139" smbclient //remote/share

for the client side.

Andrew Bartlett