[Samba] smbd consume cpu resources
nakasima at kumin.ne.jp
Wed May 1 20:31:02 GMT 2002
I tested to use samba-2.2.1a at my environment.
the strange phenomenon appared that smbd consumed continuous cpu resources.
I tested linux-2.2, linux-2.4 and linux-2.5 environment, results are same.
I use two PCs, one is a linux-box , other is a win2000-pro that is updated all patch
from microsoft windows update. I stored a lot of files in my home directory in linux-box
about 10 GB. I use a ext2 disk partition for my home directory that is a single 30 GB
hard-disk. I use my home directory areas that remove a sub directory , make a sub directory and
download flles ( example slackware distribution ) at everytime.
I do not format my home directory partition.
I write a example to use linux-2.5.12 + samba-2.2.1a.
(1) on linux-box's console, I execute "top" command to display system usage.
(2) I accessed my home directory from win2000 explorer, 14 sub directories displayed in explorer,
then smbd execute a few second at top command screen on linux-box console.
(3) I selected one sub directory that is slackware sub directory. 9 sub directories displayed in explorer,
then smbd execute a few second at top command screen.
(4) I selected one sub directory that is slackware-8.0 directory, 4 sub directories displayed in explorer,
but smbd execute continuous, and do not stop to execute high priority. smbd consume cpu resouse
about 10 % continuous, and %CPU counter up continuous at top command screen.
(5) I changed a sub directory that is /home/slackware, 14 sub directory displayed again,
smbd execute a few second, then stop to execute high priority.
when I access /home/slackware/slackware-8.0 directory, why does smbd execute continuous, and consume cpu resources.
Email nakasima at kumin.ne.jp
More information about the samba