[Samba] Help mounting

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed May 1 16:18:02 GMT 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Scott Svendsen wrote:

> Ok I will check it out,
>
> I was at version 2.2.3a  , uninstalled it, put 2.2.1a in and that
> command below worked fine.  Wonder if the version change did something?

Sort of. It's an installation issue. The 2.2.3a rpm(?) you used to install
put smbmnt in the wrong place / didn't modify smbmount to find it.

smbmount looks for BINDIR/smbmnt and if that fails it looks for it in the
path (note that the path used by mount at exec() time is not necessarily
the same path as you have). Some rpm out there puts smbmnt in SBINDIR and
then you get this error.

> From: David Loszewski [mailto:drlski at attbi.com]
> I'm pretty sure your syntax is wrong, go here, a great site to explain
> everything:
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/11/15/Big_Scary_Daemons.html?page=2

The link points to BSD-smbfs info and is irrelevant to smbmount/smbmnt and
smbfs on Linux. There is nothing wrong with your syntax.

Specifying some details on your system will get you more accurate replies.

/Urban