[Samba] WinNT 4.0 NTBACKUP.EXE and Samba

Statts, Pearce (IndSys, GEFanuc, NA) Pearce.Statts at gefanuc.com
Wed May 1 14:23:02 GMT 2002

Question for you all,

I've got two boxes, one Sun server running Samba 2.2.1a, and a Wintel box
running NT 4.0.  I'm trying to run NTBACKUP (the standard WinNT backup
application) and have it back up my Samba shares on the Sun machine.  It
works fine until it encounters an open (in-use) file, and then it aborts.
Although ntbackup does not have the ability to back up in-use files, it
usually just skips over them and take a back up of the rest of the disk.
Here, it's stopping completely when it hits the in-use file.  The obvious
solution would be to run the back up when there aren't any files in use, but
I'd like to know if there's something else I can try.  There is no option in
ntbackup to "ignore errors" or anything like that.  Is there a locking
option or something that can be set in Samba to help ntbackup along?

Thanks,

Pearce Statts
GE Fanuc Automation IT
pearce.statts at gefanuc.com