[Samba] Roaming profiles problem

Richter, Gary Gary_Richter at nfuel.com
Wed May 1 10:25:02 GMT 2002

Hey all,

I've got a few WinXP workstations logging into a 2.2.4pre (CVS from April
30th, around 8 p.m. PDT) PDC, and I'm having some sort of odd problem with
roaming profiles.

The XP workstations can successfully (it seems) retrieve and save thier
profiles to the samba box; however, if I log off a user, say "gary", from
one workstation, and travel to the next one, and log in as "gary" there,
there are some missing items... like a notepad document that I had saved to
the desktop on the previous workstation. Also (and this one is really
weird), my desktop wallpaper doesn't travel to the new workstation...
instead, I get a blank blue background, and a notepad document pops up that
contains some "shell32.dll" command. However, if I look at my display
properties, the right desktop wallpaper is highlighted. Very strange
indeeed.

Also, I'd like to be able to sync the workstation times to the server, since
I understand out of sync workstation times may cause roaming profile
problems. However, since a normal samba domain user isn't an Administrator,
they don't have rights to change the time with "net time //sambaserver /set
/yes". How do I get this to work?

Thanks for any insight that anyone can provide.

Gary