[Samba] Advice on Secure Samba usage

abartlet at samba.org abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 1 10:05:02 GMT 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:22:53PM -0400, Jason Stewart wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> Read the smb.conf man page and look at the encrypt passwords = yes option.
> Also, you can compile SSL-enabled Samba with the --with-ssl option at
> ./configure time. There is more info about this in the smb.conf man page and
> the Docs that come with the Samba source distribution. I have not actually
> tried SSL-enabled Samba, but I do send encrypted passwords across the wire.

No windows client will connnect to an SSL-enabled samba server, unless you use
some form of client-side proxy.

As such --with-ssl is useless with Windows clients.  We may well remove this
option entirely, as it is much better implemented by use of stunnel and inetd.

(The code for this is *really* ugly)

Andrew Bartlett