[Samba] Up Against a Wall with Win9x

Mack, Daemian DMack at Tickets.com
Sun Mar 31 15:19:02 GMT 2002

I realize using Win9x and Samba is an old-hat issue, but I just can't get it
to work.  Perhaps someone can double-check what I'm doing and see if I'm
forgetting something.

I have about ten Win9x clients that have to connect to a Samba server.  I've
got Samba up and working for NT clients, but the Win9x ones just refuse to
connect.  Every connection attempt I try to make, I get 'specified network
password is incorrect.'

Now, I've tried setting "encrypt passwords = no" in the smb.conf.  Then, on
the Win9x clients, I did the standard registry edit to give the
EnablePlainTextPassword a DWORD value of 1.

No dice.

I can't even connect as guest using a null password after doing a smbpasswd
guest -n and setting all the "guest = ok"-type options in the smb.conf.