[Samba] Transfer problems

Daniel daniel at switchnet.org
Sun Mar 31 09:30:02 GMT 2002

Hello everyone,

I have a somewhat odd problem and have been trying (for a few days now) to
get my head around it. Any help or advice you guys can give would be
appreciated. (other then setting up a gigabit lan)

My previous setup was as follows:

Debian 2.2.r3, kernel 2.4.17 Samba 2.5 (I think). Max Transfer rate from my
Windows 2000 machine to the Samba server and back = 8.24mb/sec. The sustained
speed during large file transfers would normally be around 7.6mb. The router
the and switch, that are being used on the network are both fine. I am able
to transfer to another windows machine at 8mb/s, sustained.

Of course I had to @#$%! with the box and decided to reinstall (not happy
with the partitioning). Anyway, I have since installed, Debian 2.2.r5, Kernel
2.2.19. The same samba configuration file I had before with exactly the same
hardware. Only, the Transfer rate goes up to about 8mb/sec...for a around
10secs...then drops to next to nothing and keeps repeating this up untill the
transfer has finished. Problem is the transfers take a lot longer. Me not
happy.

http://www.dd.iij4u.or.jp/~okuyamak/Documents/tuning.english.html
I have tried what was described in the above document but this hasn't
improved anything at all. In fact one of the first things I did after the
transfers went up and down sporadically is - I checked that:

socket option = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODEALY SO_SNDBUS=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

The nic I am using is a 3Com 3C905B 100bTX.

I have (the same as on my last install) fooled around with the 32-bit I/O and
DMA. Installed "hdparm" and ran "hdparm -c  1 -k 1 -l 1 /dev/hda & hdb. Which
pushed my internal transfer rate (bufferd disk reads) up from 12mb/s to about
18mb/s.

Still, the transfers through the network are going up and down like a jojo.

The only thing I can think off, which I am going to do in a second is
compiling kernel 2.5.0.

Regards,

Daniel