[Samba] windbindd for resolving addresses on the firewall in a split DNS scenario

Raymond Jacob jacob_raymond at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 30 22:31:07 GMT 2002

I have a firewall that does not support WINS lookup to resolve
names of windows users behind the firewall on the trusted net.
Question: Has anyone set up a split DNS where the firewall
resolves to a Linux box with winbindd and bind in the trusted
portion of the network? So that
when the firewall wants to do a reverse lookup of
10.10.90.55 the query will return "\\DOMAIN\Blade Runner/10.10.90.55"
I am assuming this would be slow until cache is
built up.

Thank you,
Raymond
PS: Looking at the samba info page it appears one can ask
a question without subscribing so if I have breached
list etiquette forgive me.