[Samba] Cannot print to linux from w95

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 30 09:09:07 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have a slightly odd problem with samba, which is that I can print
without problem to a linux printer from windows 2000, NT and 98, but
not from windows 95.  I have an Okipage 8p (PCL5) printer attached to
my Redhat 7.2 pII machine running samba 2.2.3.  I think I have set up
the w95 machine (4.00.950a) correctly; it is sending plain text
passwords, can see the printers and access the samba directories. I
have installed the correct printer driver as prompted (and as for my
other machines), but when I double click on the printer, the windows
printer queue dialog box reports 'error' in the title bar, and will not
print.  In fact I share the printer both as postscript (with Apple
LaserWriter II NTX driver) and raw (with recent Okipage driver), and
have the same problem with both, so I do not think it is the driver.
The only error I can see in the samba log (log level 3) is a report:
"Supplied buffer too small in API command".  I have searched for any
relevant stuff on the web and found nothing; have tried enabling an
disabling the windows spooling.  Has anyone got any pointers?

Many thanks for any help,

Matthew