[Samba] NIS, smbpwman, and winbind.

Mao, Jin JMao at gc.cuny.edu
Fri Mar 29 08:59:02 GMT 2002

Newbie questions, I appreciate any reply.

I have a Linux server with Samba installed and several WindowsNT/Linux dual
boot computers. The server is connected to the DMZ of a firewall and all
clients are connected to LAN ports of the firewall(SonicWall XPRS2). Users
want one account to all computers including SSH to the server. Up to now,
all Windows NT workstations are fine with Samba. The only and biggest
problem is Linux clients.

*For unknown reasons, the NFS can't go through firewall even I set NO
restrictions for both DMZ->LAN and LAN-> DMZ directions. I checked many
newsgroups and website, tried to recompile NFS with special support. But I
failed. Also NFS over firewall is not secure as many gurus said. So I want
to use Samba.

*I tried Winbind but failed. The server log mentions that
"call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented." when the Linux clients
was trying to connect. So I guess that the WinBind works with real Windows
NT server only. Am I right?

*I tried Pam_smb, but this can not mount user home automatically.

*I tried to use NIS for user authentication and
smbpwman(http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/smbfs/) for mounting user
home. smbpwman module keeps reporting wrong password and can not mount user
home automatically. My debug codes show that the smbpwman module does get
the encrypted password string(shadow string for current user).

Can anyone give me some hints?

Thank you.