[Samba] Different behaviour when printing to file

alg alg at shom.fr
Fri Mar 29 06:57:08 GMT 2002

Hello,

I recently upgraded my samba servers from samba-1.9.18p8 to samba-2.2.2, and
a problem arised for one of my NT users: The "print to file" behaviour is now
different when a file is opened from a network drive or from a local disk.

- With a local drive (or with a network drive connected on a old 1.9.18 server),
a non-Microsoft software such as Netscape Communicator 4.7 (or Acroread 4 or
PaintShopPro 4.14) will ask for the output filename when I select print/print
to file and click OK.
- With a network drive connected to a samba-2.2.2 server, no filename is asked,
and the program writes the output to a file called FILE:* in the directory of
the opened filed, without any question.

It makes no difference whether the NT user and machine belong or not to a PDC.

The problem doesn't occur with Microsoft software like Office 97 or Internet
Explorer 5.5: I am always asked for a filename when I print to file, not
depending on the drive where the opened file is stored.

I haven't changed my smb.conf between the 2 versions, and I can't find the
parameter involved in this new behaviour.

Can anybody help me to come back to the old "normal" behaviour (without coming
back to the old samba version), as my user needs it for an automated process?

Best regards.

Anne Le Guellec - Herberts