[Samba] read-only attribute and reiserfs

Simone Lazzaris sw2 at task84.it
Fri Mar 29 05:35:02 GMT 2002

Hi all,
I'm using samba 2.2.3a to access from several WinNT4.0SP6 client to a
red hat linux server.
The server has kernel 2.4.14 (stock, from kernel.org) and is exporting
files from two different filesystems, namely ext2 and reiserfs.
While I've got no issue with ext2, which is used to store users' home
(private) directory; with reiserfs I've got some quirk behaviour.
In particular, I can, from a WinNT client, remove the read-only
attribute from a file that I own (which mean, in UNIX semanthics, add
write permission) but I cannot add it (that is, I can't remove write
permission from the unix file).
If I try to do the same thing on a ext2 exported filesystem, I've got no
trouble in setting and/or resetting the read-only bit.

Here go some more information:
The samba source and the kernel were compiled with gcc version
egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)
And here is the smb.conf file:

[global]

   workgroup = Task_84
   server string = Server FS5
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
    printing = lprng
   guest account = nobody
   map to guest = never
   log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
   max log size = 0
   security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/lib/smbpasswd
   dns proxy = no
disable spoolss = no
use client driver = yes
 dos filemode = yes

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   hide dot files = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   directory = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   public = yes
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
   read only = yes
   guest ok = yes

[lav]
   comment = Lavori progrettazione
   path = /home/prg/lavori
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   valid users = @analogico @lamiera @col_ana @col_lam
   force create mode = 660
   force directory mode = 770

The [lav] resource is the one experiencing problem.
Thanks in advance.
Simone Lazzaris