[Samba] Unable to Write?

Mack, Daemian DMack at Tickets.com
Thu Mar 28 15:28:04 GMT 2002

I've searched the mailing list archives but cannot find anything relevant; I
apologize in advance for the basic nature of this question.

I'm trying to set up Samba on AIX 4.3 such that users can write to a certain
share with the guest account.  However, I'm unable to successfully write to
it with the guest user account.

Here's my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        netbios name = SERVER
        server string = AIX Server, Samba 2.2.1.1
        map to guest = Bad Password
        null passwords = Yes
        local master = No
        domain master = False
        wins support = Yes
        guest account = guest
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = all
        encrypt passwords = Yes

[audit]
        path = /test/audit
        writeable = yes

[programs]
        path = /test/programs
        writeable = no

[works]
        path = /test/works
        writeable = no

The /test/audit directory's permissions are rwxr-srwx.

Now, when I try to use smbclient to connect to the share as guest and, say,
create a directory, I get the following:

smb: \> md TEST
ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.) making remote directory \TEST

I get basically the same thing when I try to do this from a Windows
drivemapping as user guest:

"Unable to create the file 'New Text Document.'  Access is denied."

smbd and nmbd are being started from the /etc/inittab, and after each tweak
of the smb.conf, I kill the processes and restart them interactively.  Here
are their entries in inittab:

samba:2:wait:/usr/local/sbin/smbd -D -d1 -l /var/samba/smbd.log -s
/usr/local/lib/smb.conf
nmb:2:wait:/usr/local/sbin/nmbd -D -d1 -l /var/samba/nmbd.log -s
/usr/local/lib/smb.conf

To start them from the command line, I just issue the above lines after
lopping off everything up to and including the third colons.

Daemian Mack