[Samba] OT - PRINTER

bao bao at gibbons.com
Thu Mar 28 13:31:09 GMT 2002

I have tried adding two printers: JetDirect ljet, and local printer (on
parallel port) deskjet to a RH7.2 server, machine.

I used printtool to add them. Printing a test page from printtool says:
    There was an error trying to print the test page.
Using 'lpr file' says:
    Status Information:
        sending job 'root at machine+678' to deskjet at localhost
        connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
        cannot open connection to localhost - Connection timed out
    Make sure LPD server is running on the server

Similarly, printing to ljet would use "ljet at localhost" and fail too.

lpd is running.

What is going on here???

To make it print, I have to specify the option -Pdeskjet at machine,
-Pljet at machine,
or by using 'PRINTER="deskjet at machine"; export PRINTER'

Thanks,