[Samba] Refreshing file contents...

Dave Fox d.fox18 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 28 05:56:49 GMT 2002

Hi,

After thrashing about yesterday getting 2.2.3.a running on my pc,  I
mounted a folder on my windows box,  (generously known as /windows/F )

I wrote a program that would open a file and read the contents,  (file contains

60 records at 2048 bytes per record)

On the windows box,  I would edit the file and change the contents of a
record.

Back on the linux box,  this change would not appear for a significant
amount of time,  which is a problem.

----------------

My task is to integrate a linux box with a software product on the windows
box.    The windows product specifies that it will change records in this file
on the fly,  the linux product (which I am to create)  is supposed to poll the
contents of the file looking for changes,  when a change occurs, I go off and
do something,  then write a response back to the file, (which the current pc
product act upon).   The timing of the actions is supposed to be a fast as
possible.

I don't really know that much about the way the windows world works.  I
expected problems with file locking and updating,   but I haven't been able to
find the documentation that I need to read.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thank

Dave Fox